Photo of the Month

Elm Springs School

Elm Springs School, ca. 1930. Elm Springs was an early seat of education in Washington County. A private academy was opened there in 1849, but closed after a few years due to a typhoid epidemic. Another academy was established in 1887. In the early 1900s, Elm Springs District 110 held public school classes in a two-story frame building which was shared with the local Masonic Lodge. In 1926, a new brick school building was opened, boasting six classrooms, an auditorium, library, and principal's office. High school classes were discontinued in 1939, and students were transferred to Springdale High School. Elm Springs 110 consolidated with the Springdale School District in 1947. Courtesy Lorine Ames (S-87-37-12A)

Photo of the Month Archive

Photo of the Month Home


Photo of the MonthArtifact of the Month