Photo of the Month
Alice Pyeatt (from left), Nellie Irwin, and Roxa Dismukes pose on the steps of Cane Hill College (Washington County) , circa 1910. The building pictured here was constructed in 1886 and was the fourth and final building to house the college, which was founded in 1852.
Cane Hill College closed its doors in 1891 due to a lack of funding. The Salem Cumberland Presbyterian Church met in the building until 1919. From 1919 until 1955, it was used as a public school. The building was selected for inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. Mildred Carnahan Collection (S-98-2-719)