Photo of the Month
White Rock School (Dist. 56), circa 1900. Teacher Will Crozier is seen on the far left. According to School Days, School Days: The History of Education in Washington County, 1830-1950, the school was located about two miles north of Dutch Mills in western Washington County. White Rock School took its name from nearby White Rock Branch, a small creek that flowed from a spring near the schoolhouse.
The schoolhouse seen here was torn down in 1926, when Salem Springs and White Rock schools were consolidated. The new school district was called Glendale, which operated until 1950 when it was consolidated with Lincoln.
Jerry Risley Collection (S-90-169-1)