Artifact of the Month
Wesley Telephone Exchange Book
Donated by Jeff Ledbetter
The Wesley Telephone Exchange (Madison County) boasted 10 lines and at least 84 subscribers as seen on this ca. 1911 telephone list. It comes from a record book kept by L. F. Bell from 1911-1919.
The record book lists subscriber names, dues paid by them to the switchboard, and scattered meeting minutes. At a May 11, 1912 meeting, it was "ordered that the Central lady go on duty at 6 o'clock a.m. and remain until 11 off until 12 and on duty until 8 o'clock p.m. at night." In 1918 she received a raise from 60 cents to $1.25 for six months.
The Wesley Telephone Exchange was part of the North Arkansas Telephone Company organized by Millard Berry of Springdale in the late 1890s. He sold the North Arkansas Telephone Company to the Bell System in 1915.
Artifact of the Month Archive
Artifact of the Month Home