Artifact of the Month
Springdale Fire Department Cap
Donated by Marcella Sharum
The Springdale Fire Department was organized on September 6, 1909, as Springdale Volunteer Fire Department No. 1. Membership was limited to 30 men between the ages of 18 and 45.
Carl Head wore this cap (the closeup shows the cap badge) in the 1930s during his tenure as a member of the Springdale Fire Department. At that time, the department had one paid firefighter and some 20 volunteer firemen.
Springale firefighters, ca. 1939.
From left: Chief Andy Ballew, Earl Simmons, Bill Lear, Minor Matthews, Carl Head, and Wiley Jones.
Marcella Sharum Collection