Artifact of the Month
Santa Claus Doll
Donated by Jean Dipboye
Croom's Department Store in downtown Springdale used this Santa doll (and another one just like it) as a holiday display each year.
From a 1962 article in The Springdale News:
"On April 3, 1947, Croom's ladies ready-to-wear opened for business in their present location on Emma Avenue in downtown Springdale [108 W. Emma, near today's First Security Bank].
Mr. and Mrs. Stanley Graydon, owners of Croom's, have maintained a reputation of stocking quality clothing and having available a selection of formals and millinery normally found only in large department stores in the cities.
The store is widely known for stocking the latest fashions in fine clothing. Available are some of the latest creations from world famous designers.
The discriminating woman can find everything for her wardrobe from sheer nylon hose, formal attire, dresses and coats to a perky hat.
In addition to Mr. and Mrs. Graydon, the store employs Mrs. William Kennan, Mrs. Hugh Sherry, Mrs. Polk Bookout, Mrs. Arthur Eason, Mrs. Emmit Smith, Mrs. Zula Calico, Mrs. Douglas Taylor, and Mrs. Gladys Taylor."