Artifact of the Month
McCamey Real Estate Company Sign
Doanted by Greg Spencer
Roy McCamey opened McCamey Real Estate in Springdale in 1943. He worked out of a former gas station on the southwest corner of Emma and Main until he built a two-room office building next door (see photo above right). McCamey sold the business to William Neil in 1970, who in turn sold to Wayne Vanhook in 1978. Vanhook added on to the building in 1979, and sold the business to Greg Spencer in 1998. Spencer donated the sign to the Shiloh Museum in 2010, when McCamey Real Estate—the oldest real estate business in Washington County—closed its doors.
The sign (shown above in its neon glory in the museum basement) was made by Boyer Signs of Springdale. It originally sat on a cement base and was later installed on poles. A Razorback hog (not visible here) was added sometime betweem 1976 and 1987, when the University of Arkansas began its licensing program restricting the use of the Razorback image. The University okayed the McCamey Razorback since the image was not being used on a retail product. The sign was restored in 2004 and again in 2007 after being hit by a truck.
Left: The sign arrives at the Shiloh Museum,
September 27, 2010.