Artifact of the Month
This ribbon was worn by the Past Grand (a position similar to past president) of Springdale's Independent Order of Odd Fellows (IOOF) Lodge, the New Era Lodge #36. The ribbon is reversible, with a red and black side. The red side was worn when attending lodge functions such as state meetings. The black side, shown here, was worn to the funeral of a brother Odd Fellow.
The IOOF is a worldwide fraternal organization whose history in the United States goes back hundreds of years. The first IOOF lodge in America was founded in Baltimore in 1819. Now as it was then, their mission is "to visit the sick, relieve the distressed, bury the dead and educate the orphan."
Springdale's New Era Lodge #36 donated their historic meeting hall and its contents to the Shiloh Museum in 2005. Constructed in 1871, the building was originally shared by the Shiloh Primitive Baptist Church, the Liberty Missionary Baptist Church, the Methodist Episcopal Church, and the local Masonic Lodge. The Springdale lodge became owner of the building in 1935.