Artifact of the Month
Ice Cream Molds
Donated by Pat Brown
In honor of National Ice Cream Month, here are two ice cream molds from Ward's Ice Cream Company in Fayetteville. On the left is a hog and on the right, an egg. Closer inspection of the interior of the hog mold reveals a detailed porcine creature--surely an Arkansas Razorback! The molds were made by Eppelsheimer Mold Manufacturing Co., New York City.
Ward's Ice Cream was introduced about 1920 in Fort Smith, Arkansas, as a product of the Fort Smith Ice Cream Company. Joseph Napoleon Ward and his family created a regional dynasty in the ice business, with plants in Fort Smith, Van Buren, Clarksville, Mansfield, and Rogers, Arkansas; and in Heavener, Poteau, Wagoner, Stigler, Quinton, and Hugo, Oklahoma.
In the late 1920s the Ward family purchased Arkansas Cold Storage and Ice Company in Fayetteville where they continued to crank out locally-renowned ice cream at their Ward's Ice Cream plant on the corner of West Spring Street and Block Avenue.
By the early 1970s Ward's had relocated their Fayetteville facility to Springdale, first to a location on Huntsville Avenue and later on Old Wire Road. In June 1990 Ward's Fort Smith plant suffered a $1 million fire; the company was sold shortly afterwards.