Artifact of the Month
Hot Chocolate Maker
Donated by Helen Cravens (S-92-217-1)
This soda fountain fixture was used in the 1930s-40s to make hot chocolate at Joyce's Drug Store on Emma Avenue in downtown Springdale. The fixture was manufactured by the Schuster Company of Cleveland, Ohio.
J. R. Joyce (1888 -1966) opened his drugstore in 1916. The soda shop section of the drugstore was a popular destination for 70 years. During that time, Joyce's became well-known for their slogan "Been Here Always."
A 1937 edition of the Springdale News noted, "In the early days of [Joyce's], it was the custom to give small boys all the ice cream they could eat for turning the old-style ice-cream freezer. . . . The store now has completely modern equipment . . ."